Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Relativizing

Happily through life we went: from idol to idol; in due
course each became relativized.

Finally we came to Blake: absolutely the best. But in
due course he, too, may be relativized.

Universal, informed, beautiful!
Study his life, uniquely transparent in his literary
and artistic works. Study until you find the Moment of
Truth, incapsulated in a letter to his friend and
benefactor, Thomas Butts; in the letter he wrote a poem
which he call My First Vision of Light:

"the Light of the Morning
Heavens Mountains adorning
....
I stood in the streams
of Heavens bright beams
And Saw Felpham sweet
Beneath my bright feet
Like a Sea without shore
Till the jewels of Light
Heavenly Men beaming bright
Appeard as One Man
Who Complacent began
My limbs to unfold
In his beams of bright gold
Like dross purgd away
All my mire and my clay
..
In his bosom sun bright
I remaind. Soft he smild
And I heard his voice Mild
Saying This is my Fold
O thou Ram hornd with gold
Who awakest from sleep...
And the voice faded mild
I remaind as a Child
All I had ever known
Before me bright Shone
Such the Vision to me
Appeard on the Sea...
(from Letter 16; Erdman 712-13)

Blake knew that he had gold. His Visions, so beautifully
and extensively described in 900 pages of text and unnumbered illustrations.

But did he ever accept the Father? This may be
splitting hairs, but in 1810, years after "His First
Vision of Light", he wrote: "Thinking as I do that the
Creator of this World is a very Cruel Being and being a
Worshipper of Christ I cannot help saying:
The Son O how unlike the Father
First God Almighty comes with a Thump on the Head
Then Jesus Christ comes with a balm to heal it."
(From A Vision of the Last Judgment; Erdman 565)

In contrast my first Vision of Light came when I experienced the Loving Heavenly Father; it was some time later before I could see Jesus, basically as the One who told us about the Heavenly Father.

On this basis I have to relativize my latest idol (or should I say one of them?)

No comments: