Saturday, December 22, 2012

Light



Light is a metaphor for Creation, which began some time after the
beginning of the story. The continual breaking forth of light suggests
'at Creation of Time.'


Eternity is Light; mortal life is darkness (Ulro)




The word light appears 174 times in Poetry and Prose of William Blake.




From Thel (Plate 1; Erdman 4):

For thou shalt be clothed in light, and fed with morning manna:


From The Little Black Boy:
Look on the rising sun: there God does live And gives his light, and gives his heat away. And flowers and trees and beasts and men recieve Comfort in morning joy in the noon day.




The Book of Los refers to the Blakean Creation
(when Light began).

Chap: IV:
I: Then Light first began; from the fires Beams, conducted by fluid so pure . Flow'd around the Immense:

PLATE 54 of of Jerusalem (Erdman 203) In Great Eternity, every particular Form gives forth or Emanates Its own peculiar Light, & the Form is the Divine Vision And the Light is his Garment
The Four Zoas: the end of the 5th Night (Erdman 344): I well remember for I heard the mild & holy voice Saying O light spring up & shine & I sprang up from the deep He gave to me a silver scepter & crownd me with a golden crown


(This is one of several accounts of the Creation, which is on-going.




And from this blessed letter to Butts, his friend and Confessor:

To my Friend Butts I write

My first Vision of Light

On the yellow sands sitting

The Sun was Emitting

His Glorious beams

From Heavens high Streams

Over Sea over Land

My Eyes did Expand

Into regions of air

Away from all Care

Into regions of fire

Remote from Desire

The Light of the Morning

Heavens Mountains adorning

In particles bright

The jewels of Light

Distinct shone & clear--

For Blake this reports a new Creation.






No comments: