Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Job 9



Bad Dreams

My bones are pierced in me in the night season & my
sinews take no rest
 My skin is black upon me, and
my bones are burned with heat
The triumphing of the wicked
is short, the joy of the hypocrite is
but for a moment
Satan himself is transformed into an Angel of Light & his Ministers into Ministers of Righteousness




(Job 30:17):
My bones are pierced in me in the night season: and my sinews take no rest

Job 30:30)
My skin is black upon me, and my bones are burned with heat

(Job 20:5).
the triumphing of the wicked is short, and the joy of the hypocrite but for a moment 
(II Corinthians 11:14-15).
..for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light...his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness 
(Job 7:14)
Then thou scarest me with dreams, and terrifiest me through visions 
(Job 19:22-27)
Why do ye persecute me as God, and are not satisfied with my flesh? Oh that my words were now written! oh that they were printed in a book! That they were graven with an iron pen and lead in the rock for ever! For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me 
(II Thessalonians 2:4)
Who opposeth & exalteth himself above all that is called God, or is worshipped 




Re this plate Kathleen Raines on page 133 wrote as follows:
"Job is alone, as we are each alone in the darkest hour (his wife cannot share this ordeal) ....instead of his three friends three fiends seek to drag him down with chains into hell....over him hovers the figure of Satan with cloven foot and entwined by the serpent" (Job is prostrate on his bed and over him is Satan, the Accuser, the God of this World).

Satan, the Selfhood: Blake spent his whole life fighting it, and so do we.

And on page 134 "this plate is a turning point in the story of Job as told by Blake, and in the remaining ten plates" we see a different picture with a focus on forgiveness.


No comments: