Wednesday, April 13, 2016

IMAGES OF CHRIST 5

Yale Center for British Art  
Jerusalem
Plate 76

Hebrews 9
[24] For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
[25] Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
[26] For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
[27] And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
[28] So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
 

The Wesley brothers were older contemporaries of William Blake. John and Charles Wesley were both ministers and poets who composed hymns of faith. Blake shared their love of music and their willingness to express enthusiasm - the emotional response to religious experience. This hymn by Charles may have been included in the Wesley hymnals which Blake owned and used.

1 O Love Divine what hast thou done!
The incarnate God hath died for me!
The Father's co-eternal Son,
Bore all my sins upon the tree!
The son of God for me hath died:
My Lord, my Love, is crucified.


2 Behold him, all ye that pass by,
The bleeding Prince of life and peace!
Come, sinners, see your Saviour die,
And say, was ever grief like his 

Come, feel with me his blood applied:
My Lord, my Love, is crucified:



3 Is crucified for me and you,
To bring us rebels back to God:
Believe, believe the record true,
Ye all are bought with Jesus' blood:
Pardon for all flows from his side:
My Lord, my Love, is crucified.



4 Then let us sit beneath his cross,
And gladly catch the healing stream;
All things for him account but loss,
And give up all our hearts to him:
Of nothing think or speak beside,
My Lord, my Love, is crucified.


1 comment:

Freeborng said...

Thank you for the post. For more on John and Charles Wesley please visit the article about their Foundry Church in London, the converted cannon factory of King Charles. The article is located at https://www.francisasburytriptych.com/john-wesleys-foundry-church/. Enjoy.