Saturday, July 11, 2020

CHICHESTER 2

British Museum  
Jerusalem
Plate 51
Another copy identifies the figure on the right as Skofeld
 
In the previous post the move of William and Catherine Blake to Felpham was presented as in its most positive light. The stresses and pressures of the political and economic situations which existed in London would be left behind. They would leave a crowded city for the fresh and appealing countryside. Blake would have the support of an appreciative patron who would give him opportunities for profitable work. However in three years time Blake had concluded that his association with Hayley made it more difficult for him to engage in the pursuit of visionary art and poetry which he felt led to do.

The plans to leave Felpham were already made when a minor incident with major repercussions occurred in the garden of Blake's cottage. Blake tried to expel from the garden a Dragoon whom he found in the garden. Words let to actions which led to accusations against Blake. For five months Blake awaited trial for assault and sedition. Blake returned to Sussex from London to be tried on January 11, 1804 at the Chichester Guildhouse. Hayley had hired the barrister Samuel Rose to defend Blake. Witnesses for the defense testified that Blake had not said the seditious words, "Damn the King." After a trial lasting into the night, Blake was acquitted by the jury.

It is doubtful if Blake ever had full resolution of his brush with the law. He must has asked himself many questions following the incident and its consequences. Could he have avoided such a contentious confrontation with the Dragoon if he had called upon the inner Christ whom he knew? Was he the victim of some plot by those who knew that he expressed opposition to the authority of the church and the state in his prophetic writings? Is it inevitable that prophets will suffer rejection among those who oppose their judgement?

The words Jesus spoke when the people of his own village questioned his authenticity must have crossed Blake's mind when he found himself accused.

Matthew 13
[53] And it came to pass, that when Jesus had finished these parables, he departed thence.
[54] And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works?
[55] Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
[56] And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
[57] And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
[58] And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.

When the incident was still fresh in his mind, Blake wrote to his friend Thomas Butts describing what had happened and the consequences.

Letters, (E 732)
[To] Mr Butts, Gr  Marlborough St, London
Felpham August 16. 1803
" I go on with the remaining Subjects which you gave me
commission to Execute for you but shall not be able to send any
more before my return tho perhaps I may bring some with me
finishd.  I am at Present in a Bustle to defend myself against a
very unwarrantable warrant from a justice of Peace in
Chichester. which was taken out against me by a Private in Captn
Leathes's troop of 1st or Royal Dragoons for an assault &
Seditious words.  The wretched Man has terribly Perjurd himself
as has his Comrade for as to Sedition not one Word relating to
the King or Government was spoken by either him or me.  His
Enmity arises from my having turned him out of my Garden into
which he was invited as an assistant by a Gardener at work
therein, without my knowledge that he was so invited.  I desired
him as politely as was possible to go out of the Garden, he made
me an impertinent answer I insisted on his leaving the Garden he
refused I still persisted in desiring his departure he then
threatend to knock out my Eyes with many abominable imprecations
& with some contempt for my Person it affronted my foolish Pride
I therefore took him by the Elbows & pushed him before me till I
had got him out. there I intended to have left him. but he
turning about put himself into a Posture of Defiance threatening
& swearing at me.  I perhaps foolishly & perhaps not, stepped out
at the Gate & putting aside his blows took him again by the
Elbows & keeping his back to me pushed him forwards down the road
about fifty yards he all the while endeavouring to turn round &
strike me & raging & cursing which drew out several
neighbours. at length when I had got him to where he was
Quarterd. which was very quickly done. we were met at the Gate by
the Master of the house.  The Fox Inn, (who is [my] the
proprietor of my Cottage) & his wife & Daughter. & the Mans
Comrade. & several other people My Landlord compelld the Soldiers
to go in doors after many abusive threats [from the]
against me & my wife from the two Soldiers but not one word of
threat on account of Sedition was utterd at that time.  This
method of Revenge was Plann'd between them after they had got
together into the Stable.  This is the whole outline.  I have for
witnesses. The Gardener who is Hostler at the Fox & who Evidences
that to his knowledge no word of the remotest tendency to
Government or Sedition was utterd,--Our next door Neighbour a
Millers wife who saw me turn him before me down the road & saw &
heard all that happend at the Gate of the Inn who Evidences that
no Expression of threatening on account of Sedition was utterd in
the heat of their fury by either of the Dragoons. this was the
womans own remark & does high honour to her good sense as she
observes that whenever a quarrel happens the offence is always
repeated.  The Landlord of the Inn & His Wife & daughter will
Evidence the Same & will evidently prove the Comrade perjurd who
swore that he heard me <while> at the Gate utter Seditious words
& D--- the K--- without which perjury I could not have been
committed & I had no witness with me before the Justices who
could combat his assertion as the Gardener remaind in my Garden
all the while & he was the only person I thought necessary to
take with me.  I have been before a Bench of Justices at
Chichester this morning. but they as the Lawyer who
wrote down the Accusation told me in private are compelld by the
Military to suffer a prosecution to be enterd into altho they
must know & it is manifest that the whole is a Fabricated
Perjury.  I have been forced to find Bail.  Mr Hayley was kind
enough to come forwards & Mr Seagrave Printer at Chichester.
Mr H. in 100L & Mr S. in 50L & myself am bound in 100L for
my appearance at the Quarter Sessions which is after Michaelmass.
So I shall have the Satisfaction to see my friends in Town before
this Contemptible business comes on I say Contemptible for it
must be manifest to every one that the whole accusation is a
wilful Perjury.  Thus you see my dear Friend that I cannot leave
this place without some adventure. it has struck a consternation
thro all the Villages round.  Every Man is now afraid of speaking
to or looking at a Soldier. for the peaceable Villagers have
always been forward in expressing their kindness for us & they
express their sorrow at our departure as soon as they hear of it
Every one here is my Evidence for Peace & Good Neighbourhood &
yet such is the present state of things this foolish accusation
must be tried in Public.  Well I am content I murmur not & doubt
not that I shall recieve Justice & am only sorry for the trouble
& expense.  I have heard that my Accuser is a disgraced Sergeant
his name is John Scholfield. perhaps it will be in your power to
learn somewhat about the Man I am very ignorant of what I am
requesting of you.  I only suggest what I know you will be kind
enough to Excuse if you can learn nothing about him & what I as
well know if it is possible you will be kind enough to do in this
matter" 

Blake was eventually acquitted after five months of stress and uncertainty.   
David Erdman on Page  410 of Prophet Against Empire brings up some dilemmas Blake faced. 

"Whatever we make of the coincidence of some of the Dragoon's charges with some of Blake's prophetic opinions, however, the trial was an ordeal for Blake. The peaceable villagers were with him, but his accusers were hurling 'arrows of darkness' at at a son of fire who did not know in actual combat, how to wield his mental sword except by sheathing it in the privacy of his manuscripts. He had, he believed, a glorious precedent: Jesus had 'omitted making a defense against Pilate'; yet he knew that to do so was to 'bear false witness.'"


No comments: