Sunday, March 30, 2014

Milton 4

Rosenwald LoC
Milton Returns
Here is the point at which Milton came down from Heaven:

Milton Plates 14-15 (Erdman 107-8)
"The Bard ceas'd. All consider'd and a loud resounding murmur    
Continu'd round the Halls; and much they question'd the immortal
Loud voicd Bard. and many condemn'd the high tone'd Song
Saying Pity and Love are too venerable for the imputation
Of Guilt. Others said. It it is true! if the acts have been
     perform'd
Let the Bard himself witness. Where hadst thou this terrible Song

  
The Bard replied. I am Inspired! I know it is Truth! for I Sing

PLATE 14 [15]
According to the inspiration of the Poetic Genius
Who is the eternal all-protecting Divine Humanity
To whom be Glory & Power & Dominion Evermore Amen

Then there was great murmuring in the Heavens of Albion
The loud voic'd Bard terrify'd took refuge in Miltons bosom
........
Then Milton rose up from the heavens of Albion ardorous!         
The whole Assembly wept prophetic, seeing in Miltons face
And in his lineaments divine the shades of Death & Ulro
He took off the robe of the promise, & ungirded himself from the
     oath of God

And Milton said, I go to Eternal Death! The Nations still
Follow after the detestable Gods of Priam; in pomp               
Of warlike selfhood, contradicting and blaspheming.
When will the Resurrection come; to deliver the sleeping body
From corruptibility: O when Lord Jesus wilt thou come?
Tarry no longer; for my soul lies at the gates of death.
I will arise and look forth for the morning of the grave.       
I will go down to the sepulcher to see if morning breaks!
I will go down to self annihilation and eternal death,
Lest the Last Judgment come & find me unannihilate
And I be siez'd & giv'n into the hands of my own Selfhood
The Lamb of God is seen thro' mists & shadows, hov'ring          
Over the sepulchers in clouds of Jehovah & winds of Elohim
A disk of blood, distant; & heav'ns & earth's roll dark between
What do I here before the Judgment? without my Emanation?
With the daughters of memory, & not with the daughters of
     inspiration[?]
I in my Selfhood am that Satan: I am that Evil One!              
He is my Spectre! in my obedience to loose him from my Hells
To claim the Hells, my Furnaces, I go to Eternal Death.

And Milton said. I go to Eternal Death! Eternity shudder'd
For he took the outside course, among the graves of the dead
A mournful shade. Eternity shudderd at the image of eternal death

He took off the robe of the promise; it's easy to see in the image 
man taking off his robe.

This whole section is pregnant with meaning:The Bard is saying that 

people are forgiven because 'Lord Jesustakes their guilt on his own 
shoulders, which (strangely) is a shock to the 'Eternals' (It's always a 
shock to people: read (Matt 20:1-16).It was a shock to the people Jesus 
was talking to just like it's a shock to 'good' people today.)

No comments: