Job.2 (In this passage it would appear that Satan was numbered among
the sons of God.)
-  Again there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves
- before the LORD, and Satan came also among them to present himself before the LORD.
-  And the LORD said unto Satan, From whence comest thou? And Satan answered
- the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down
- in it.
-  And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is
- none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and
- escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me
- against him, to destroy him without cause.
-  And Satan answered the LORD, and said, Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath
- will he give for his life.
-  And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, he is in thine hand; but save his life.
-  So went Satan forth from the presence of the LORD, and smote Job with sore
- boils from the sole of his foot unto his crown.
-  And he shewed me Joshua the high priest standing before the angel of the LORD, and Satan standing at his right hand to resist him.
-  And the LORD said unto Satan, The LORD rebuke thee, O Satan; even the LORD that hath chosen Jerusalem rebuke thee: is not this a brand plucked out of the fire?
Matt.4 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
 And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
 And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
 Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
 And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
 Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
 Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.
From The Marriage of Heaven and Hell we read:
Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained; and the restrainer or reason usurps its place & governs the unwilling.
And being restrain'd it by degrees becomes passive till it is only the shadow of desire.
The history of this is written in Paradise Lost, & the Governor or Reason is call'd Messiah.
And the original Archangel or possessor of the command of the heavenly host, is call'd the Devil or Satan and his children are call'd Sin & Death.
But in the Book of Job Miltons Messiah is call'd Satan.
For this history has been adopted by both parties.
It indeed appear'd to Reason as if Desire was cast out, but the Devil's account is, that the Messiah fell, & formed a heaven of what he stole from the Abyss.
From The Four Zoas (Erdman 367):
And all the Songs of Beulah sounded comfortable notes Not suffring doubt to rise up from the Clouds of the Shadowy Female Then myriads of the Dead burst thro the bottoms of their tombs Descending on the shadowy females clouds in Spectrous terror Beyond the Limit of Translucence on the Lake of Udan Adan These they namd Satans & in the Aggregate they namd them Satan (Erdman 672) Inscription for Our End is Come:
Satan's holy Trinity The Accuser The Judge & The Executioner
Plate 3 of Milton (Erdman 97): They Builded Great Golgonooza Times on Times Ages on Ages First Orc was Born then the Shadowy Female: then All Los's Family At last Enitharmon brought forth Satan Refusing Form, in vain The Miller of Eternity made subservient to the Great Harvest That he may go to his own Place Prince of the Starry Wheels