Sunday, December 21, 2014

Shakespeare 13


From WiKIPEDIA:
Timon of Athens is a collaborative play by William Shakespeare and perhaps Thomas Middleton about the fortunes of an Athenian named Timon (and probably influenced by the philosopher of the same name). The central character is a well beloved citizen of Athens who through tremendous generosity spends his entire fortunes on corrupt hangers-on only interested in getting the next payout. Timon of Athens is one of Shakespeare's most obscure and least-known works. It was originally grouped with the tragedies, but some scholars name it one of the problem plays.

Known as "Timon and Alcibiades"; Timon, nude, is seated in his cave, 
a spade beside him; in the l foreground, Alcibiades has entered wearing 
a helmet; with him are partially draped women, Phrynia and Timandra; 
image framed by trees. 1783 Etching

Timon and Alcibiades

Open Source Shakespeare



Some fragments of speeches of Alcibiades

in "Timon of Athens"

Act, Scene, Line
text:
I,1,295
Sir, you have saved my longing, and I feed
Most hungerly on your sight.

I,2,415
My heart is ever at your service, my lord.

III,5,1312
Honour, health, and compassion to the senate!

III,5,1314
I am an humble suitor to your virtues;
For pity is the virtue of the law,...

III,5,1349
My lords, then, under favour, pardon me,
If I speak like a captain....

III,5,1369
In vain! his service done
At Lacedaemon and Byzantium...

III,5,1373
I say, my lords, he has done fair service,
And slain in fight many of your enemies:...

III,5,1386
Hard fate! he might have died in war.
My lords, if not for any parts in him—...

III,5,1400
Must it be so? it must not be. My lords,
I do beseech you, know me.

Why, fare thee well:
Here is some gold for thee.

IV,3,1779
When I have laid proud Athens on a heap,—

IV,3,1781
Ay, Timon, and have cause.

IV,3,1784
Why me, Timon?

IV,3,1809
Hast thou gold yet? I'll take the gold thou
givest me,...

IV,3,1851
Strike up the drum towards Athens! Farewell, Timon:
If I thrive well, I'll visit thee again.

IV,3,1854
I never did thee harm.

IV,3,1856
Call'st thou that harm?

IV,3,1859
We but offend him. Strike!
[Drum beats. Exeunt ALCIBIADES, PHRYNIA,]...

V,4,2556
Sound to this coward and lascivious town
Our terrible approach....

V,4,2621
Then there's my glove;
Descend, and open your uncharged ports:...

V,4,2632
Descend, and keep your words.

V,4,2640
[Reads the epitaph] 'Here lies a
wretched corse, of wretched soul bereft:...


No comments: