In the fifth chapter of Genesis we read:
-  And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
-  And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And Jared lived after he begat Enoch eight hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And Methuselah lived after he begat Lamech seven hundred eighty and two years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And Lamech lived after he begat Noah five hundred ninety and five years, and begat sons and daughters:
-  And I will make thee swear by the LORD, the God of heaven, and the God of the earth, that thou shalt not take a wife unto my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I dwell:
-  Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:
-  And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?
-  And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.
-  And my master made me swear, saying, Thou shalt not take a wife to my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I dwell:
-  And I asked her, and said, Whose daughter art thou? And she said, The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor's son, whom Milcah bare unto him: and I put the earring upon her face, and the bracelets upon her hands.
-  And I bowed down my head, and worshipped the LORD, and blessed the LORD God of my master Abraham, which had led me in the right way to take my master's brother's daughter unto his son.
Blake used 'daughters of ...' freely, strictly comparable to 'sons of...'
It occurs often in his poetry, but several of them are of special significance.
VISIONS of the Daughters of Albion!
PLATE 1 [i] Preface.
The Stolen and Perverted Writings of Homer & Ovid: of
Cicero. which all Men ought to contemn: are set up by
against the Sublime of the Bible. but when the New Age is at
leisure to Pronounce; all will be set right: & those
of the more ancient & consciously & professedly Inspired Men,
will hold their proper rank, & the Daughters of Memory shall become the Daughters of Inspiration.
PLATE 2 MILTON Daughters of Beulah! Muses who inspired the Poets Song Record the journey of immortal Milton thro' your Realms Of terror & mild moony lustre, in soft sexual delusions Of varied beauty, to delight the wanderer...
PLATE 5 (of Milton)
And this is the manner of the Daughters of Albion in
To the beautiful Daughters of Albion! they sport before the Kings
Clothed in the skin Of the Victim! blood! human blood! is the life
And delightful food of the Warrior: the well fed
Of him who is slain in War: fills the Valleys of
Breeding Women walking in pride & bringing forth under green trees
What do I here before the Judgment? without my Emanation? With the daughters of memory, & not with the daughters of inspiration[?] I in my Selfhood am that Satan: I am that Evil One! He is my Spectre! in my obedience to loose him from my Hells To claim the Hells, my Furnaces, I go to Eternal Death
PLATE 10 of Jerusalem: Into the Furnaces & into the valleys of the Anvils of Death And into the mountains of the Anvils & of the heavy Hammers Till he should bring the Sons & Daughters of Jerusalem to be The Sons & Daughters of Los that he might protect Albions dread Spectres; storming, loud, thunderous & mighty
The Bellows & the Hammers move compell'd by Los's hand.
Here are some daughters of Jerusalem:
Jerusalem plate 32